Cudahy Historical Society

  • The Cudahy Historical Society

    Welcome to the City of Cudahy Historical Society and the Cudahy Depot.

  • Old Cudahy Depot

    1890 Patrick Cudahy, a stonemason, foreman and former partner of meat packer John Plankinton, bought land in the early 1890's. Cudahy planned to open a $1 million meat packing operation with his brother and got the Chicago and Northwestern Railway to open a railroad stop. Read More...

  • Ladish Co.

    The history of ATI Ladish Co., Inc. began in 1905 with the purchase of a 1,500 lb. steam hammer and, in association with John Obenberger, Ladish was on its way to becoming known as “The Axle Forger to the Auto Industry.” Read More...

  • Cudahy Cottages

    These are some original homes in the City of Cudahy.

  • Helmholz Mitten Company

Events List

Click Here for a complete list of events.

Around the Corner w/ John McGivern

The City of Cudahy was the subject of John McGivern's - Around the Corner
Click Here to view the video!

This Video's Original Air Date is 2/20/2014.

Welcome to The Cudahy Historical Society

The historic Cudahy Depot is a repository of artifacts, photos and other memorabilia from Cudahy’s past. The Historical Society also holds meetings there in the warmer months. (In the winter months, the building goes into a “hibernation” mode to save energy and meetings are held in the Society’s annex, a former C & NW railroad warming building just to the south).

The Cudahy Depot is open to the public on the last Saturday of the month, April to October, from 10 a.m. to noon. Volunteer docents are on hand to answer questions.

According to local lore, Patrick Cudahy selected the site for his packing plant on the highest point between Milwaukee and Chicago. Trains probably already served Buckhorn Station (the original name of our city) and the depot was built along the Chicago and Northwestern Rail Road right-of-way to bring the many workers the plant would need.

The depot has a large, unheated freight storage area on the north end. This area is literally filled to the rafters with antiques and other wonderful items on display. The remainder of the building is divided into a waiting room, ticket selling area and an office that most likely held a telegraph operator as well. These areas house interesting photos, banners, artifacts and even a roll top desk used by Patrick Cudahy!

It’s interesting to note that the Cudahy Depot is not unique, in that the plans used for its construction were also used by other railroads across the US. However, according to members of a railroad history club that met there a few years ago, the Cudahy building is one of the few still remaining and, because of its restoration and constant upkeep, is also among the finest of its kind.